|Fact & Fantasy: A History of Tavistock & District||Physicians - Page 145|
Dr. Valentine F. Stock, son of Mr. and Mrs. Valentine Stock, graduated from University of Toronto in 1915. He was awarded the Military Cross for distinguished service in World War 1, He practised as a specialist in internal medicine in Toronto, where he died in 1954.
Dr. F. Burns Roth, son of Mr. and Mrs. Adam Roth, graduated from University of Western Ontario in 1936. He is now Professor and Head of the Department of Hospital Administration at the School of Hygiene, University of Toronto.
Dr. Joseph Cawthorpe, son of Dr. and Mrs. Frederick J. Cawthrope, graduated from the University of Toronto in 1942. He became a specialist in psychiatry and was appointed to the staff of the Ontario Hospital at St. Thomas. He died on June 7, 1966.
Dr. Mervyn A. Hopkinson, son of Mr. and Mrs. Clark Hopkinson, graduated from Queen?s University in 1950. He and his wife are both engaged in family practice in Lion's Head, Ontario.
Dr. William H. Taylor, son of Dr. and Mrs. H.M. Taylor, graduated from University of Toronto in 1961. As Chief Resident in Surgery at Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto, he is now completing postgraduate training in paediatric surgery.
Back Row: Dr. D. R. Fuller, Dr. W. W. Weston
Front Row: Dr. H. M. Taylor, Dr. B. Halliday
Dr. James Howard Small, son of Mr. and Mrs. Norman Small, graduated from Queen's University in 1962. He was born when his parents were living in Tavistock, where his father was Principal of the Tavistock Continuation School.
Dr. John Gordon Fisher, son of Dr. and Mrs. John K. Fisher, a graduate of the University of Western Ontario in 1965, has developed a very active family practice in Kitchener, Ontario.
Mrs. Kenneth Neville, nee Jane Zimmerman, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Howard Zimmerman, is an undergraduate in the Faculty of Medicine at University of Toronto, where her husband is also a medical student.
The Tavistock Medical Group
Any assessment of the medical care provided in this community during the past century, would be inadequate and lacking in a proper evaluation of the services rendered, in care of the sick, if it failed to recognize the important contribution made by doctors? wives. In addition to accepting responsibility for the usual household duties and frequently assuming more than a fair share of the supervision of a young family, she often found herself acting as receptionist, bookkeeper, nurse and general assistant. In the days when long country trips were made with a horse and buggy or cutter, the doctor was frequently away from his office for long period, during which he wife handled emergencies as best she could and usually in a way which earned for her the gratitude and respect of people needing help. Even in more recent years, when the pattern of medical practice had changed, the voice of the doctor?s wife on the telephone, was reassuring to the person in need of help, when the doctor himself was not immediately available. Over a period of years many friends were acquired by reason of her opportunity and willingness to render service, rather than by more superficial social contacts.
And so, as we reach the conclusion of this history of the practice of medicine in our village, we pay tribute to the doctors? wives, who, through the years, have been valuable members of the team which has had a sincere desire to provide good medical care for the people of the community.
There have been many changes and advances in the practice of medicine in the past century. As we think of all the physicians who have lived and worked here, since the arrival of the first doctor, it seems appropriate to quote the word of Thomas Carlyle:
"Nothing that was worthy in the past departs: no truth or goodness realized by man ever dies, or can die; but is all still here, and, recognized or not, lives and works through endless changes."
|PREVIOUS||TABLE OF CONTENTS||NEXT|