|Fact & Fantasy: A History of Tavistock & District||Churches - Page 93|
TRINITY ANGLICAN CHURCH
Divine service was commenced at this station in a log building at Lot 28, XII Concession during the year 1847 by Rev. Frederick Farquhar. An entry for 1848 notes that the Sacrament of the Lord's supper was held regularly on the first Sunday of each month.
By 1859 the congregation appointed a building committee. The tender of J. Pringle for $577 was accepted; on June 14, 1861 the new church was opened and consecrated under the name of Trinity Anglican Church by the Lord Bishop of Huron.
To honour the century an altar cross was dedicated by the rector, Rev. J. E. Gordan Houghton; it was the gift of the descendants of Thomas and Mrs. Russell, charter members of the congregation and pioneers of the township. Two vases were added by the decendants of Stephen and Mary Caister and Peter Scott, also charter members and pioneer settlers.
ST. ANTHONY'S ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH
As far as can be learned mass was celebrated no oftener than monthly at first, the lapsed after 1872, to be revived by an annual mass since Nov. 12, 1939. Most of the early adherents joined the new church when it was built at New Hamburg.
The church is well preserved, and is a fine example of early architecture and excellent stone-work.
ZION EVANGELICAL CHURCH
Up to and including 1870 the names of the presiding elders and pastors are given in the history of New Hamburg, Sebringville and South Easthope, to which the Tavistock charge then belonged.
D. Dippel, J. Lingelbach - 1870. J.G. Staebler is on the record as preacher and Levi Wildfang as local preacher. C.A. Spies - 1871 - 72.
In 1871 the appointments of Tavistock and Ratz's were taken over from the Hamburg circuit and Gore Downie from Sebringville, all of which was called the Tavistock Mission. - from History by Rev. J.G. Litt, Dec. 1935.
|PREVIOUS||TABLE OF CONTENTS||NEXT|