|Fact & Fantasy: A History of Tavistock & District||Organizations - Page 111|
The Home and School Association
This organization has been functioning since 1957: the first few meetings were held in the old school, then in the Library Hall and now in the gymtorium of the new school. The first slate of officers held office for two terms:
Pres. Mrs Leonard Lemp
It has sponsored concerts by the school children, has organized two music festivals and prepared graduation dinners with speakers and pins and certificates for the graduating classes. These speakers have included: Dr. H.M. Taylor, John Cull, Carl J. Seltzer, Dr. Walter Koerber, Norman S. Hill. Presidents:
1959 Mrs. Carl Vogel
Meetings are held monthly with speakers on varied topics usually dealing with educational or professional subjects.
"Mr. Paul Morgenroth must be given much of the credit for bringing this organization and that of the P.S. Safety Patrol to fruition. The latter was begun under the sponsorship of the Ont. Motor League during the term of Bill Hart as principal. The League supplies raincoats, hats, belts and badges. The pupils of Grades 7 & 8 are on duty at all the main intersections, before nine, at noon and after four. For their devotion to duty, in rain or snow or shine, the members are treated to a trip, or given some other reward near the end of the school year.' Tweedsmuir Book
During the Centennial Year the H. & S. Association arranged a successful Antique Show in the gymtorium from July 11-15 under the leadership of Mrs. Forrest Mosher.
|PREVIOUS||TABLE OF CONTENTS||NEXT|