|Fact & Fantasy: A History of Tavistock & District||Organizations - Page 118-120|
DER KANADISCHE KOLONIST
In 1863 a German weekly newspaper was established in Stratford, named the Colonist. This sheet was founded by Jacob Teuscher. In 1872 it became the property of Messrs. Schmidt & Scherer, and five years later Mr. J.H. Schmidt became sole proprietor. The Colonist had a large patronage amongst the Germans, a number of whom settled near Stratford. -(page 487 - Johnston's History of Perth, 1825-1902). Mr. Schmidt continued to publish this weekly until 1906, when he sold his subscription list to Rittinger and Motz of Kitchener, (the Canadian Volksblatt). - (from the Review Number, A Magazine of Industry of the Daily Beacon, Stratford, Ontario, June 1911) - see )Obituary, 1912 Gazette File - October 24). An old copy of this paper was found by Mrs. Leonard Perkin in the back of a picture. She turned it over to The Tavistock Gazette, where it was made available to us. It is probable that many in the Tavistock area subscribed to it, for the Business Ad. Column lists one notary and three doctors then living and practising in our village in January 1883. (see Medical History for copy.)
THE TAVISTOCK MAIL
This weekly paper was published at Drumbo, dated September 6, 1985, Vol I, No. 1. By a Mr. N. H. Boden. Vol. 1, No 2. Is the only copy ever found and it seems it was discontinued after two weeks. The editorial in the second issue may offer an explanation, in view of the fact that the Tavistock Gazette began to publish on September 25, 1895 and has continued to do so ever since:
"The publisher of this paper came to Tavistock some four weeks ago and surveyed the field with the intention of starting a newspaper in town... Calling on all the principal business men in town we were promised their patronage by way of advertising without a single exception..... Last Thursday afternoon just as we were about to go to press, a Mr. Green as he calls himself, calls at our office in Drumbo and tells us that he, in company with a certain doctor of Tavistock, had canvassed all the business men of the town and that they had got assurance from them that they would support him and him only, as he had made arrangements to become a resident, and that his Divine mission was to inform us that we were to immediately desist from issuing a paper in Tavistock.
We told Mr. Green that we could see no reason for our so doing simply because he said so, but were very willing to let him have the field if he paid us for any outlay and trouble, and we would give him a good fair sendoff to begin with.
Mr. Green thought this a downright affront to his dignity and gave us to understand that so far as he was concerned we were not in the least in the way and so far as allowing us any remuneration, he would never consent to that, but would run us out of town for nothing...... We would point out to Mr. Green that we are not accustomed to run or act the coward, and that we are happy to stay; that we are here to carry out our agreement with our customers and that we will put a plant and office in Tavistock just as soon as we possibly can."
THE TAVISTOCK GAZETTE
It seems strange that Mr. Green won the Battle of "Inkerman", for the Gazette started its "run" in September 1895 with the first issue on September 25. It was located then in the Loth Block, now the Sunoco Station. Early files of The Gazette were burned in the Square one Hallowe'en night and in the ashes disappeared much of our history. He continued to publish the local weekly until 1900 when Mr. Frank Leslie took over. (see his article). The plant was moved to the Wildfang, later the Staebler Block opposite the Post Office. At that time Les and Hap's was a two-storey building, with The Gazette in the upper west part.
In 1904 Mr. Charles Fraser became owner-publisher in the same location. In 1908 Mr. Norman E, Dopp, son of the barber, took over. He continued until 1910, when Mr. Leslie once more assumed control, with George Shibley and his son as editors. In March 1912, the plant was moved to the second storey of the Opera Hall, the original Malcolm Mill, which was built in 1866. Here the Gazette flourished for fifty year.
In August 1914 the late William Appel acquired the rights to our weekly newspaper. On May 1, 1916 he turned over the business to his son Lorne W, Shose blood has been tinted with printer's ink ever since. (see Sports Article).
In October 1929 the Browns, the late George K. and his son K. Hartford, came to town, Mr. Bruce Murdock, on July 11, 1959, records it thus in The Hamilton Spectator: "This weekly newspaper is almost a family affair. Mr. George K. Brown, had formerly been with the Ft. Erie Times- Review and had learned his trade with the old Orillia Packet and Times. In 1939 K. Hart Brown, the present publisher, entered into partnership with his father. He had started his newspaper career as a printer's devil with the Ft. Erie paper but had later been with the Bank of Montreal for five years. In 1958 he bought out the interests of his father."
With the aging of the building and the adding of more machinery, the safety factor persuaded The Gazette to transfer its quarters to the former garage of Christian Strahm and Sons, at the corner of William Street and Woodstock Streets. Here Mr. And Mrs. Brown continue the efficient operation of a weekly newspaper and job printing plant, with the linotyping under the care of a long-time employee, Clair Strahm.
|PREVIOUS||TABLE OF CONTENTS||NEXT|