|Fact & Fantasy: A History of Tavistock & District||Shakespeare - Page 21|
Township of South Easthope Garage and Council Chambers 1953.
- Belden's Atlas of Perth County, 1879
From 1833 to 1841 settlement was slow as it was throughout the West, the agitation which culminated in the rebellion of 1837, by administrative incapacity, being no doubt largely responsible. This event proclaimed that democractic aggressiveness could no longer be restrained. The Act of 1841 indicated that government was now about to withdraw from the nursing bottle stage for the municipalities. Progress became apparent. Subsequent to 1841 a large influx of German settlers located in North Easthope. In this township are no towns or villages of great importance. Shakespeare now a place of some importance lying partly in South Easthope has obtained its ascendancy from its being a railway station. This village was founded in 1832 by David Bell who settled on Lot 20 and it was known for many years as Bell's Corners. The name Shakespeare was first given to this place by Alexander Mitchell in 1852.
ANNALS OF SHAKESPEARE
September 13, 1895
June 3, 1897
T. C. Delgaty advertised himself as the practical tailor.
June 10, 1897
John Pletsch was rushed with orders for moving buildings this spring.
At the home of Mrs. Chris Trachsel his daughter Miss Jennie was married to J. H. Coatsworth of Kingsville, the couple to live at Ruthven.
October 28, 1897
November 18, 1897
S. Capling, the "Hello" Tailor, had overcoats for sale.
Rossiter & Co. advertised General Merhcnadise, Groc., Boots.
Mr. V. Weiss was much improving his hotel by repainting.
Revival meetings were being held in Mr. Capling's Hall by Rev. Mr. Meyer, German Methodist Minister at Tavistock.
June 30, 1898
The new barber Mr. Crawford opened up at the main corner.
Mr. Luck, new owner of the Shakespeare Hotel, was running a fine dining-room.
Mr. Sharpe the station agent sold 284 tickets for the excursion to Guelph.
J. P. Crerar sold one shorthorn for $275, a cow and heifer for $675.
James Whiteman, manufacturer, advertised his Pea harvester as so efficient that one boy could replace 2 or 3 men, necessary to follow older types.
November 24, 1898
Mr. McCulloch, the minister, had brought the Watson residence near the manse.
January 12, 1899
Skating was very good on ice on the river north of the village.
At one time skaters could go as far west as Stratford.
September 25, 1902
Mr. Heideman has purchased about 3,000 bushels and shipped a carload to Manitoba.
|PREVIOUS||TABLE OF CONTENTS||NEXT|