|Fact & Fantasy: A History of Tavistock & District||Churches - Page 91|
ST. PAUL'S LUTHERAN CHURCH
The Wellington Street Lutheran Church was organized on July 31, 1881, with Rev. C. Becker as pastor. The first meeting held by its members is dated December 17, 1880. Services were conducted in a hall owned by John Loth on Hope St. W. Pastor Becker belonged to the Reformed Church, and when the congregation was formed it bore the name: Reformed Evangelical Congregation in Tavistock. A constitution was adopted on July 31, 1881 and was signed by eleven members. A church board was elected: John N Roth, Henry Wilker, William Schneider, David Trachsel. A lot had been found on Wellington Street, which could be bought from William Schaefer and also a half-acre of land was available at the Grand Trunk railway track with a drive-way along the west line fence from Henry Fuhr. On Dec. 2, 1881 the contract was let for stone and brick work to Adam Reidt for $320 and carpenter work to Adam Fuhr for $720. Each contractor to supply his own material.
On Nov. 6, 1881, a meeting was held in which Pastor Becker was requested to preach his farewell sermon at the next Church Service. On motion of Adam Reidt and Jocob Wilker, the congregation decided to approach the Missouri Synod to supply them with a pastor. A delegation was elected to visit Pastor Dupernell in Stratford and ask for a meeting. Subsequently the congregation took the name: the Evangelical Lutheran Congregation at Tavistock. A parsonage was decided on, in 1888, and Adam Fuhr got the contract for $750.
Additions and improvements to the church were made:
Pastors who have served:
Statistics: Baptized members - 170
Mention must be made of one3 member who rendered noteworthy service to St. Paul's Martin Woelfle was elected treasurer on Jan 1, 1890 and served continuously in this office for 53 years.
|PREVIOUS||TABLE OF CONTENTS||NEXT|