|Fact & Fantasy: A History of Tavistock & District||Churches - Page 94|
ZION EVANGELICAL CHURCH - continued
The following are the pastors who have preached at this church since its dedication in 1870:
During the Old Boys' Reunion in 1930 the Rev. Mr. Beese read a short historical sketch of the early days of the church here in Tavistock. In 1865 there were only thirty members in the group which formed the nucleus of the congregation formed five years later. Of the said group Mrs. Martha Wiker, nee Morlock, of Bridgeport, Howard Zimmerman's grandmother, was present and was specially recongnized as the only surviving person of that group; Wm. Morlock, Martha Morlock, Martha Morlock, jr., Levi Wildfang, Maria Wildfang, John Gruen, Catherine Gruen, Catherine Gruen jr., Eliz. Quehl, Lorenz Nau, Eliz. Nau, Werner Stein, Eliz. Stein, Adam Kalbfleisch, Marg Kalbfleisch, H. Wenzel, A.K. Wenzel, Wm. Baltzer, H. Kalbfleisch, Mahala Kalbfleisch, John Zubrigg, Maria Zubrigg, Con. Eidt, Maria Eidt, Val. Stein, Maria Stein, John Koch.
This denomination was born of the great religious awakening of the 18th Century. It had its beginning in the spiritual quickening that came to Philip Otterbein, the German Reformed pastor, in Baltimore, Md., and to Jacob Albright a tilemaker of Pennsylvania. In their preaching and ministry they stressed the necessity of an experience of salvation. Their converts formed prayer groups which later developed into churches. About 1800 the Otterbein groups became the United Brethren in Christ, and the Albright became the Evangelical Association, later the Evangelical Church.
These two independent bodies united to form the present Evangelical United Brethren Church in November 1946.
In the month of June 1904 the old from church was moved and became the rear part of the Tavistock Building Company's factory; the old manse became part of Frank Corp's house at 15 Oxford St., and part of Werner Wittig's at 49 William St. N. in 1916.
On August 7 the corner stone was laid by Rev. Knechtel of Berlin, the presiding elder.
The work of the building the new church was immediately proceeded with. The building which is up-to-date in every respect, an ornament to the villiage and a credit to the congregation, does honor to the architect, Mr. W.E. Benning, the Building Committee and the Association who assumed the responsibility of financing the undertaking. It is a handsome white brick structure 40 x 52, built upon cement foundation with basement walls of St. Marys cut stone. The brick and stone work was constructed by Martin Woelfle of this villiage, Ratz & Gingerich had the contract for furnaces and metal ceiling, the Tavistock Building & Furniture Co. were the contractors for the woodwork, the seats capable of accomodating four hundred people were supplied and placed by the Valley City Seating Co. of Dundas, and the painting and decorating was done by Mr. F. Eckstein.
|PREVIOUS||TABLE OF CONTENTS||NEXT|